Trial Resumes for Youth Accused of Defaming Pastor Kayanja

July 21, 2025

The Kayanja defamation trial resumed last week at Mwanga II Magistrates Court, drawing renewed attention to a case involving serious claims against Pastor Robert Kayanja. Grade One Magistrate Adams Byarugaba oversaw the hearing as the defence introduced its fourth witness in a highly charged session.

Labib Khalifa, 24, gave an unsworn statement describing his alleged abuse by Pastor Kayanja. According to him, the ordeal began in 2017 when he met a man named Joshua at Capital Shoppers Bugolobi. Joshua later introduced him to youth programs at Rubaga Miracle Centre, where Khalifa eventually met the pastor.

Khalifa, who has remained in prison with eight co-accused for the past four years, claimed that church mentorship turned into manipulation. He accused the pastor of offering him money, phones, and education promises to gain control over him. Khalifa also said he worked long hours at the pastor’s farm in Kiryandongo and performed security tasks without pay.

By 2019, Khalifa demanded Shs340 million in unpaid dues. However, he claimed that this amount was later reduced to Shs162 million under unclear terms. He stated that fear and intimidation kept him from reporting the abuse earlier.

The prosecution, however, questioned the validity of his testimony. Chief State Attorney Jonathan Muwaganya reminded the court that Khalifa refused to swear an oath before testifying. “Without a sworn statement, we can’t cross-examine or test the credibility of these claims,” Muwaganya said.

In addition, Muwaganya argued that Khalifa had not mentioned these allegations in his police statements. He pointed to this inconsistency as a sign that Khalifa’s story may not be reliable.

The Kayanja defamation trial has also faced intense media scrutiny. However, the court reaffirmed its earlier ban on live coverage. Magistrate Byarugaba’s directive—recently upheld by the High Court—sought to prevent bloggers from sensationalising proceedings and influencing public opinion.

Court officials announced that hearings will continue on August 28, with additional sessions planned throughout September. Magistrate Byarugaba emphasized the court’s commitment to fairness and impartiality.

Despite the emotional weight of Khalifa’s claims, legal experts believe that his unsworn testimony holds little weight in the absence of cross-examination. Still, his appearance added a new layer of complexity to the ongoing proceedings.

The Kayanja defamation trial continues to unfold amid public interest, legal challenges, and debates about defamation, religious authority, and justice in Uganda.

Read: Freedom of speech Vs fake news: Where do you draw the line?

Previous Story

Court Halts Mayanja Orders on Kabaka’s Kaazi Land

Next Story

How to Apply for a Work Permit in Uganda (2025 Guide)